Anticipating the transition to retirement living can feel extremely liberating! Suddenly, you’ll have unaccustomed freedom and far fewer commitments. What will you do with your time? More importantly, where will you live? There are fabulous active adult communities just about everywhere, so before you start shopping for senior living apartments, you’ll need to narrow down your general location. Here are some tips to get you started.
- Compare the cost of living for possible destinations. Whether you have plenty socked away or you don’t how much you’ll have to spend during retirement, cost of living matters. When looking at different places, check out the cost of essentials and then consider extra activities you’d like to do regularly. Don’t forget about HOA fees and club memberships.
- Do some research on state tax policies. In Alaska, Nevada, Florida, Texas, South Dakota, Washington, and Wyoming, there is no income tax. Some other states tax your investment income and interest, even though they don’t tax your earned wages. Think about your tax needs and how largely a state’s tax laws will figure into your retirement plan.
- Think about the life you want to lead. The wonderful thing about retiring is that your time is your own, to do with as you wish. What sorts of activities will you pursue? Do you want to be in the bustle of a city or does country life suit you better? You can find active living apartments in communities that offer everything from golf to equestrian pursuits.
- Consider the climate. Maybe you’re from a cold climate and want to spend retirement basking in the sun. On the other hand, maybe you dream of mountain views and brisk hikes, or lakeside life, with boating and fishing to help you while away the hours. As you daydream about how you’ll spend your time, make sure you’re researching weather patterns and average temperatures to be certain the place you’re considering is a good fit for you.
- Know your needs when it comes to travel. Will you be living within driving distance of your family? You’ll need a reliable vehicle! If you’ll be flying often, or people will be flying to see you, it’s convenient to be in close proximity to an airport.
- Once you think you’ve found the place, take it for a spin! Visit for at least a week to see if it’s a good fit. Even better, visit several times, in different seasons, to make sure it’s the right place for you to call home.
When you’re ready to retire to an adult active living community, consider Larkspur at Shadow Creek. A family-owned and managed community for ages 55 and up, we offer resort-style active living apartments in Pearland, Texas. We give our residents the chance to transition from the responsibilities and burdens of home ownership to a lifestyle of convenience and luxury, full of new friends, new activities, and new adventures. To learn more about life at Larkspur at Shadow Creek, call 832-376-8414, or contact us through our website.