Are you starting to think it’s time for you to downsize? When you’re transitioning to retirement living, it can be wise to reduce your living space and belongings, to save money and lessen the amount of time and energy you expend on upkeep. On the other hand, downsizing isn’t the right choice for everyone. Is it right for you? Ask yourself these five questions.
- What’s my financial situation? For most people, downsizing is about reducing expenditure. Owning a home is often more expensive than renting a home, and when you rent, you have more financial and personal freedom. Spending money on travel and leisure that you’d otherwise spend on maintaining a house can be very freeing. To determine whether it’s time to downsize, make a list of your current expenses and compare them to the cost of living in a smaller space.
- What kind of lifestyle do I want to enjoy? Do you want a place with space for a garden? Do you enjoy spending time outdoors, perhaps playing tennis or going to the pool? Do you want to find active living apartments with a wide array of social activities and opportunities to learn and grow? Spend some time thinking about the lifestyle you want to have in your retirement years, in order to find the right community.
- What’s the motivation for downsizing? You may want to spend less time cleaning your house, have less clutter in your life, enjoy more financial freedom, or have more time and opportunity to experience adventures and the amenities of an apartment lifestyle. Once you have identified your motivation, you’ll be better able to shop around in different active adult communities and find the place that’s the right fit for you.
- What’s most important to me? Flexibility is important when you’re changing your lifestyle, but it doesn’t mean you have to compromise on your “must-haves”. Make a list of the things that are non-negotiable for you, so that you’ll know which senior living apartments will work for you.
- What’s the right location for me? Is convenience a major factor in your decision? Do you want to live near family? Do you want to maintain connection to your current community? It’s important to choose a place to live where you will be comfortable and won’t have to give up important social connections.
When you’re ready to find an adult active living community, consider Larkspur at Shadow Creek. A family-owned and managed community for ages 55 and up, we offer resort-style apartments in Pearland, Texas, with an emphasis on active living. We give our residents the chance to transition from the responsibilities and burdens of home ownership to a lifestyle of convenience and luxury, full of new friends, new activities, and new adventures. To learn more about life at Larkspur at Shadow Creek, call 832-376-8414, or contact us through our website.