If you or a loved one are at an age where retirement living is becoming a topic of discussion, there are many possibilities to consider. Senior living apartments are varied, ranging from assisted living to active adult communities. Which is right for you? Is it time for assisted living? How do you know?
It’s important to discuss this before it’s actually necessary to move. You don’t want to run out of options and end up feeling helpless and panicked about getting the care you or your loved one need. Here are some signs it may be time to think about moving to a senior living community.
- Unhappiness with the current living situation is a good reason for a senior to move. Sometimes seniors feel unfulfilled in their lives and want to get out from under the burden of homeownership. Moving to active living apartments could be a great option, because these apartments allow residents to maintain their independence without having to do home maintenance and chores. What’s more, there’s a wealth of enrichment opportunities and companions so that they never have to feel bored or lonely.
- Sometimes seniors don’t feel safe living alone. Especially when family and friends don’t live nearby and there’s a lack of social interaction, they can feel isolated. What’s more, they may feel nervous about living alone. What if they fall? What if someone breaks into the house? Senior communities are safe and secure, and seniors live surrounded by their peers, with on-site staff and security.
- Retirement living can be lonely on your own. Some seniors move in with a loved one for care and companionship, but this may not be the ideal solution. In a senior living community, they get to interact with like-minded people every day if they so choose, doing interesting activities.
- If health problems are a concern, assisted living may be the answer. At an assisted living facility, staff is available to help with medication reminders, assist seniors to and from appointments, and help manage declining health. It’s good to know that there are professionals on hand whenever they’re needed.
- Seniors who need help with everyday tasks can also benefit from assisted living. Someone who is struggling to remember things like paying bills and taking medications or can’t seem to stay on top of household tasks will benefit from the environment of assisted living. In assisted living, seniors still enjoy their own living quarters, but have assistance available to them 24/7, as well as amenities like housekeeping and laundry services, wellness and exercise programs, transportation services, and more. An assisted living facility can even provide nutritious meals and snacks for seniors who have declining health due to poor eating habits.
When you’re not ready for assisted living but you’re ready to retire and find a luxury apartment in an adult active living community, consider Larkspur at Shadow Creek. A family-owned and managed 55 plus community, we offer resort-style apartments in Pearland, Texas, with an emphasis on active living. We give our residents the chance to transition from the responsibilities and burdens of home ownership to a lifestyle of convenience and luxury, full of new friends, new activities, and new adventures. To learn more about life at Larkspur at Shadow Creek, call 832-376-8414, or contact us through our website.